Summarizing meeting notes leads to clarified comprehension and analysis according to researchers.
For an organization to attain success through all its available resources, things must be aligned to function seamlessly better for maximum results.
Meetings are an essential part of an organization’s goal of attaining this success.
However, there’s an issue with that:
We often fall short to recall the discussion soon after exiting the meeting room.
It hampers the whole concept of the meeting; instead of leading everyone to be more productive, it ends up in unproductivity.
So, how do you recall everything that is conversed in the meeting?
By Summarizing Meeting Notes
Notes capture Important information and develop soft skills like innovation, active listening, and public speaking skills.
The Method of Summarizing Meeting Notes:
The forgetting curve theory states how our memory forgets over time. As per this theory, human beings tend to forget about half of the memory of newly acknowledged knowledge within a couple of days.
But, there is a path to learn and further recall better; it’s active recalling.
When information is actively recalled, the repetitions tend to increase the interval of remembering until the next recall is done.
Likewise, every active recalling session improves memory. The most effective way to have active recalling is by Summarizing Meeting Notes.
Too long meetings disrupt focus, which makes it harder to recall the important points.
If you make meeting notes, you’re recording the information to recall whenever necessary.
Thus, Summarizing Meeting Notes can help you actively recall all the past learned information within minutes.
Does Summarizing Meeting Notes Make any Sense?
When more than one people brainstorm to find a solution, many insights come to the plate.
These little concepts and several insights might seem huge but serve a big plan.
But, these often get forgotten in the conversation. That’s why taking meeting notes is so important.
Summarizing Meeting Notes makes a meeting more effective because it directs to:
- Better recalling: The forgetting curve shows that frequent recalls lead to better recalling. If you have detailed meeting notes, you actually have a quick recall of the discussion. This, in turn, facilitates the improvement of your long long-term memory.
- Improved Connectivity: Summarizing Meeting Notes help people who could not attend the meeting due to specific reasons. Instead of discussing everything talked you can share the key talks of the meeting.
- Give away: Written information demands timely active attention. Problems of the meeting and adhered solutions become tangible when you record them in the meeting. When you’ve documented the tasks to be done and their due date, it becomes handy to assign the responsibilities.
Meeting notes serve as a customized resource for everyone to use.
They consist of all the vital points, as conversed in a meeting.
You need to acknowledge a defined structure to take notes; else, your notepad would be a rough mess.
Here’s are the key points needed for you to acknowledge to take better meeting notes:
There are some main topics that should be grasped in the notes:
- Facts of topic: Facts describe the nature of the meeting.
- Date of the month, time is taken, and attendees present:
- Meeting Agenda: Prepare for the meeting topics even before the meeting gets started by creating a plan. Then write the key points of the topic and the desired outcomes aimed to achieve before taking notes.
This one is counter-based; never try to capture every word in the meeting. Writing down everything that’s been mentioned is an old-age strategy.
Here’s why this approach may make you unsuccessful:
- It consumes huge time and doesn’t justify the purpose of writing meeting notes.
- It doesn’t bring clarity on happenings in the meeting.
You can have a look at the main points to keep notes aligned for guide rails.
Recall the forgetting curve theory, which spoke to us about how quickly we forget newly captured information.
The solution to that is several techniques to aid review. One idea is to take meeting notes and then write down information as it occurs.
Step one step back and question yourself: Why do you are eager to learn the technique to take meeting notes?
The main goal of taking meeting minutes and several notes is to get an overview of future actions. In other phrases, to find the desired outcome from the meeting?
Ensure you pen down action plans and acknowledge decisions before summing up the notes.
Your meeting notes should pave you to the desired path of work. A perfectly captured meeting will remove all the blockages and queries that are hindering your progress.
A report by researchers makes things scary:
- meetings per week across all employees and several company sizes.
- 16 meetings per week for executive management and higher boards.
- 16 meetings per week for VP, director, and other c-level roles in highly collaborative industries.
To put things into alignment, most organizations conduct 15 meetings per week.
Now, let’s perform some quick math here.
The above report by researchers states that most meetings are for a span of 15 mins to 30 mins.
So, if you attend around 45 meetings per month of this duration, you’re spending a minimum of 14 hours in meetings alone!
With so many hours consumed in meetings per week, recording everything is tiresome.
It starts taking weight on your memory when you’ve to remember and revise everything.
One answer to how to take better meeting notes is using instaminutes. Or, apply a recording device to record the session.
Recording your meetings will give you more flexibility to ask queries and get into active conversations in a better way. But recall setting aside some minutes to revisit the recorded session to write the main takeaways in your style of understanding.
But what if you could automatically record, take notes, or keep sharing your meeting notes within minutes?
With Instaminutes, you can be less worried about taking notes in every single meeting. Instaminutes helps in Summarizing Meeting Notes and further allows others to collaborate through digitized notes.
All you need is to integrate your calendar with Instaminutes, and our AI will auto-join your task meetings that mentioned the meeting URL.
The best part is that Instaminutes chrome extension is also available.
Taking meeting notes isn’t restricted to sales teams, C-executives, or the board of directors.
It’s an effective method to boost overall productivity and connectivity. Using specific methods can further improve the efficiency of your workflow.
The bottom line is to one step back and further reflect on optimizing continuous tasks using automation.